I registered to vote by mail, can I vote in-person instead?

Yes, if your mail-in ballot hasn’t been received by the returning officer you can still vote in-person instead. If your mail-in ballot has been received, you will not be permitted to vote. Also, if you vote in-person and a mail-in ballot is received after you have already voted in-person, the mail-in ballot will be considered spoiled and will not be counted.

If I am an employee, city clerk, manager, department head, or fire chief, can I run as a councillor?

No. If you work for the council, you cannot run as a councillor. Furthermore, as a town clerk, manager or department head (including fire chief) you are not eligible to request a leave of absence. If you are a volunteer fire chief you can request a leave of absence.

Can I run as a candidate in a municipality to which I owe taxes or other charges?

No, you are not qualified to be a candidate if you owe taxes or other charges to that municipality.

Can I run as a candidate if I have ownership of a company that owes taxes?

It depends. If you are operating as an unincorporated business entity and you are personally accountable for the amounts owed, you cannot run as a candidate. If you are an owner of a corporation you will not be disqualified to run as a candidate since corporations are a separate legal entity.

Does my nomination form need to be signed in front of a Returning Officer?

Yes. The proposer, seconder and candidate should all be present to sign the nomination form in the presence of the Returning Officer.

Where a candidate is unable to be present for their nomination, one of the proposers may sign a special nomination form on the candidate’s behalf in front of the Returning Officer.

Can I get the list of candidates before nominations are closed?

No. The nomination list will be available within 7 days after the nominations have closed. A candidate may remove their name before the nominations are closed and that information will not be released.

In order to be an eligible candidate, what does ordinarily resident for 30 days before the nomination period mean?

Whether or not someone is an ordinarily resident will depend on: whether they live and sleep in the municipality; whether they intend to return to the municipality when they are absent; and whether their family resides in the municipality. These are all factors that need to be considered when determining whether someone is ordinarily resident. Additionally, a person may only have one place of residency for the purposes of running as a candidate.

Please note that the Returning Officer has the sole discretion to determine whether a person has satisfied the required residency requirements.

Do I have to be ordinarily resident in the municipality for 30 days prior to the election day to be able to vote?

Yes. The same residency considerations as detailed above need to be considered for voting, as well as running as a candidate.

Are post-secondary students considered residents?

Yes, if they meet the required residency requirements. However, a student has to choose where to vote as they are only allowed to vote in either the municipality where the student is residing while at school or in the municipality where the family home is located, but not in both.

How do I vote by mail?

1. To vote by mail, residents must first register to receive a Voter Kit. Registration to receive a Voter Kit may be completed using the online registration system, by clicking here. To register, voters will complete a voter declaration form. Identification, that is satisfactory to the Returning Officer, must be supplied for each person registering in order to receive a vote by mail kit in accordance with the deadline established by the Returning Officer.

2. After a vote by mail application has been processed and a vote by mail kit issued, the recipient is deemed to have voted and is not eligible to vote at any other poll, including the advance poll.

3. Immediately upon receipt of the voter kit, a voter may send their return envelope by mail in accordance with the final deadline – as determined by Canada Post – which will ensure delivery to the City of Corner Brook by 8 pm on election day. This deadline will be clearly indicated on the voting instructions included in the voter kit. Ballots received after 8pm on election day, regardless of postmark, will be considered spoiled and will not be counted.

4. In addition to mailing their return envelope and ballot envelope, voters will also have the option to drop their return envelope into a drop box located at City Hall up to 12 noon on the day immediately preceding Election Day. Ballots received after this time will be considered spoiled and will not be counted.

Can I request that a person help me vote?

Yes, if you are incapacitated and unable to vote on your own, or need special voting arrangements due to your personal situation, please make this known to the Returning Officer or Deputy Returning Officer, who will provide assistance through an election official or through the person accompanying you.

Does sequential numbering in any way connect a voter to their completed ballot?

No. Sequential numbering should be found on a counterfoil, which should be separated from the ballot prior to depositing the completed ballot into the ballot box. Therefore, there should be no way to connect the completed ballot to the voter.

What authority does a candidate’s agent have?

After taking an oath or affirmation, agents can start their duties. Agents are allowed to observe the election activity and be present at the counting of the votes. Agents can also view the voter’s list, ask for the affirmation or oath of a voter, object to a specific voter, confirm that the ballot box is empty before the voting begins, examine ballots, object to a specific ballot and be present at a recount.

Does the agent have authority to campaign at the polling station?

No. Agents cannot campaign or distribute campaign materials (physically or electronically (e.g., using social media) at the polling station or within 30 meters of the polling station, and must remain respectful to all voters, the electoral process, the Returning Officer and all other election officials. This includes not distributing election results until the results are officially declared by the Returning Officer.

Must a Returning Officer wait for a candidate or a candidate’s agent to be present before counting ballots?

No, the Returning Officer does not have to wait for a candidate or an agent in order to start counting the ballots. The candidate has the right to be present or have an agent present during the counting but it is the candidate’s responsibility to have a presence at each polling station that they wish to be observed. A candidate may appoint one agent per polling station.

When should a newly elected/acclaimed councillor be sworn-in after an election?

A term of office shall begin within two weeks of being elected. Note that before starting a term of office a councillor must be sworn-in.

Who has the authority to swear-in a newly elected/acclaimed councillor?

The Returning Officer has the authority to do the swearing-in. A Clerk, Provincial Court Judge, Justice of the Peace and Commissioner for Oaths may also swear-in newly elected/acclaimed councillors.

When does a newly elected council have to have its first meeting?

The City Clerk or Returning Officer shall call a meeting within fourteen days of the election.

What restrictions exist for municipal campaign contributions?

All contributions of money, goods or services received by a candidate (or another amount if prescribed in a municipality’s regulations) must be declared and counted by a candidate when reporting on campaign contributions received.

Candidates must submit campaign contribution reports within 90 days of the election, and the reports will be made available to the public for inspection.

Are in-kind contributions considered campaign contributions?

Any goods or services contributed to a campaign in-kind, such as printing, signage, office space and advertising need to be included by candidates when reporting on campaign contributions, depending on their total value. To value any goods or services received, one must use the equivalent lowest market value of the goods or services received as if they were sold.

Please note that personal time and services donated are not meant to be captured.